Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nahanni's Poem for Alma

Nahanni wrote this for Alma, during the first week of her life, when everything was uncertain.



* * *

Are those silent seizures behind your peaceful lids
or a long deep sleep
that will last into eternity
or maybe just until tomorrow

when you can awaken
ready to forgive the world
for what it did to you

pushing you out in a rush
into a choking pain and panic
to a world of tubes and wires and strange voices

so far from me
so far from where you should have been
wrapped in my arms
feeling my skin and that first eye meeting
falling asleep on Ned
coming home to your big sister
the one who was waiting for you with chocolate cake
who knew you wouldn't be able to talk or play yet
but would wait patiently to watch you grow
and take your first step

I wouldn't blame you for deciding against this world
for lingering so long between here and somewhere else
or waiting for us to prove our love again

our love
which holds you
wherever you are
and wherever you go

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

some sentences are so true and so powerful... I'm so sorry for your loss. Inbal

Anonymous said...

Definitely a powerful poem. Ned and Nahanni, I am so so sorry for your loss. Words cannot express how sorry I am. Love and hugs to you all.

-Mel Tibbetts (Dana's friend)

Anonymous said...

With tear filled eyes, I send love and peace to your battered hearts. I can't imagine your sorrow and pray that you heal a little more each day and are warmed by all of us that love you.
Sincerely,
Katie Horner