Friday, July 30, 2010

new soul, new world

Introducing Alma!



Her name means soul in Spanish, cosmos/world/universe in Aramaic, maiden in Hebrew and "learned one" in Arabic (I think) and as of 3:30 a.m. last night, July 29, 2010, it means beautiful new daughter to us... ב"ה

Here is Alma and her mama!



This picture was actually their reunion after 24 hours of separation. Alma had rough ride coming into the world. In true kickboxer style, she led with her feet on the way out, and managed to actually kick the umbilical cord out before it was time. It was Nahanni's courage and a lot of medical miracles that gave Alma her chance to live, and she took it. She wasn't breathing on her own when she was born, but she is now. Her heartbeat was very low when she was born, but every minute since she's shown that her heart is strong. She had to be transferred to intensive care at a different hospital, an hour away, when she was an hour old. The photo above is when Nahanni managed to get herself transferred to Alma's hospital today.

Speaking of hospitals, Alma has now experienced more medical procedures in 48 hours of life than I have in 37 years--and she often hasn't liked it any better, I have to say. Not that I would be so sanguine with this many wires glued to my head.



Shalvah came to visit today, and she is psyched to be a big sister!!!



(well, and also because she got a pair of fairy princess wings as a present)



(and also because there was chocolate pudding at the hospital)
(and also 'cause she got to see her Mama again and her Mama is doing much better)



I'm pretty psyched about that too. It's a new cosmos/world/universe for us now...

12 comments:

Beniela and Joe said...

alf mabruk ya Ned wa Nahanni! we are thrilled for you and are so excited for a 2nd little kickboxer to enter the world. we are thinking about you here in Lebanon and can't wait to see you all again soon!

Rothschild Blvd., Ltd. said...

Dear Ned and Nahanni, Thank God Alma and Nahanni are doing fine.... What a scary story for your little kickboxer. May your beautiful family continue to grow and spread its light everywhere. Much love from Tel Aviv, Shira

Petunia Van der Twirp said...

Mazel TOV! Alma is beautiful and strong. I love reading these updates, thank you. I am sending Nahanni so much love and to you and the wonderful Shalvah as well.

Nahanni is so brave and courageous and so are you, as I imagine the delivery has been a bitter sweet experience. The beautiful Alma picked the right family. Here is hoping to you all getting some sleep soon and happy, healthy days ahead.

Keren Greenblatt said...

Hey Ned and Nahanni and girls!

Looks like you had quite an adventure... I wish you all the best of health, and to think about how usually when the beginning is rough, the future is a huge success!
Mazal Tov, and enjoy them!

Flat Stanley said...

wow, what a dramatic arrival.
al hamdul'allah, barukh hashem that there is a happy ending and that alma is strong and doing well.
lots of love to you all,including, of course, the astronaut big sister with butterfly wings,
jen

Sarah said...

Well that story just brought me to tears. I am so thrilled that Alma is with us and well and that you are all together. We are thinking of you and love you.
Sarah, Dan, and Sam

Bobbie said...

Wow, you have all gone through so much! This is one for the books! Let's hope the next pages and chapters will be sans wires on Alma's head and less stressful. I know you must be so grateful to the nurses and doctors who helped you cope with such trauma. And it is a good thing Alma has landed in such a loving and supportive family.
Take care. Love always, Bobbie

Required Reading said...

Welcome Alma! Sorry to hear that my wishing for a smooth entry into the world didn't seem to work! Actually, it sounds a little traumatizing for all involved! Glad to hear everyone is on the mend and safe and sound after all. Can't wait to meet her!

Emily

Anonymous said...

Mazal Tov and b'sorot tovot! I'm so happy and thankful to hear of your miracle, and I hope your beautiful family stays together now. This amazing new person got a beautiful, thoughtful name, and I hope you'll spell it עלמא to reflect the word you chose. Wishing you all health and happiness, and hope to see you soon here in Haifa, Love -- Leora

Shalvah said...

לליאורה ולכל קוראי עברית, זה נכון, שם העלמה הוא עלמא

Anonymous said...

it does mean learned one...what a wonderful addition to your amazing beautiful family...congrats and can't wait to meet her soon.

lots of love,
irene

Sebastian said...

Dearest friends,
We're just now seeing this story, and are sending lots of love to you all as you recover from an eventful birth, to say the least. Alma, you are a brave new person overcoming such obstacles on arrival. We love you all, and are sending blessings for Nahanni's speedy recovery, Alma's little heart to beat its way strongly forth in the world, and everyone to take a deep breath. We'll talk soon.

love, Minna and Sebastian