Sunday, April 8, 2007

Top Ten Things People Say When They See Nahanni These Days



10. Stand back! You're sticking into the road! (Guy waiting at the 18th and Florida crosswalk)
9. Jeez Louise, When? (Our neighbor on the stoop across the street with the pet turtle named Lightning)
8. You got twins in there or something? (Woman who pulled her pickup truck over to ask on the Calvert Street Bridge)
7. That's an eight or nine pounder right there! (Two women in medical scrubs on the Metro)
6. That must be a ten pound one, because you're all baby! (Post-mistress at the Post Office)
5. How close are you? I don't want to have to deliver that baby! (Guy stocking the meat section at Giant, two months ago already)
4. Oh, so nice, a little girl, right? (A chorus line of fifteen men waiting at the soup van by McPherson Square, almost in unison)
3. Definitely a girl. (Woman in medical scrubs on the Metro, who apparently does know what she's talking about).
2. Definitely a boy. (Joe's Noodle House, Mr & Mrs. Lee at the grocery, and everyone else...)
1. JESUS CHRIST! THAT'S COMING OUT TODAY! (Guy hanging out on Columbia Road)

Other current and formerly pregnant people are welcome to share the comments you elicited.

Thank you to everyone for your comments, posts and predictions! (A very special thank you to everyone and their sister who have started to make jokes about how with her father's genes, she couldn't possibly arrive on time.)

12 comments:

Bobbie said...

I love this picture! Everyone looks great in it. Love, Bobbie

Who's Loosh? said...

Last comment I made about a pregnant lady (somehow when they become pregnant they turn into ladies in my mind, as opposed to women, chicks, girls or lasses): "shit, this lady's yoging better than I do, she's about to pop that little one while in Frog posture, I tell you."

On another, completely unrelated note, I was recently bestowed the beautiful middle name of Kalyani (which in Sanskrit means beautiful, I am told)-- more Sanskrit names available upon request through a Sanskrit profesor I know. Let me know if you're interested.

Who's Loosh? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

Wonderful picture! No matter how early or late, she'll be right on time; that much I know. We can't wait to share this experience with you.

Anonymous said...

just thought of an awesome name: Sandy! its a combination of sonja and andy and is gender neutral. some combination, huh?

celebrating our lord and saviour and bunnies and eggs and such, but thinking of you and the big conversation starter.

love,
anonymous midwesterners

Anonymous said...

Naming Luka
Amy and I spent countless hours flipping through name books, shooting down idea after idea (eg): "Paul? I knew a real dumbass named Paul"; "I already have a cousin Eli"; "Dillon's too common", "Nebuchadnezzar's too Babylonian", etc, etc. If either of us had a single negative association with a name, it was ruled out. The name will invariably be reduced to a single syllable at home or school, so that’s part of the choice as well.
Some names invited teases or embarassing rhymes: "Hector Specter"… "Claus Rous"?

I was fascinated by the Jewish injunction against naming for a living relative, (lest their spirit be taken by accident instead of the elder), and yet my mother named Matthew after her living father (she did cherish his long life!). I skirted disaster by giving my son his paternal grandfather’s middle name, and honored my mother, in the anti-tradition she adopted, by giving my daughter a variant for her middle name: Katherine Patrice Specter.

I realized that it should be a name that I could imagine myself uttering at least 65,000 times, whether in love and frustration (10x day x 365x 18 years =). For the sake of frustration, a middle name can come in handy: “Luka Kenneth Specter, did you eat all 10 of those cookies?”

Amy and I settled on a 'short list' of about 5 names, but after 36 hours of labor, I wasn't really in a position to squabble when she chose one I had reservations about.

In the days after the birth, as we encircled the little creature in bed, blinds half drawn (and eyelids often half open), we were besieged with multiple phone calls from an anxious relative begging us not to name our son Luka- that he would develop gender dysmorphic disorder, that the name would make him gay… It added an element of hilarity to days that might otherwise have been flavored overwhelmingly with wonder and adoration.

In the almost 6 years that we’ve had Luka (and Katie 3), I realize that there have only been a few clear choices that have had such an aura of importance about them. Recently we chose a K-8 school. Before that, the only comparable choice, that would potentially have lifelong implications and yet had to be based on subjective impressions, speculation and inference, was choosing a name.

Good luck.
fondly,
Evan Specter,
Berkeley, California

Sunrise1981 said...

Hey Nahani and Ned!
I am sure it is going to be a beautiful baby just like its parents... Nahanni you look so beautiful in ths pic :)

Anonymous said...

Pray that s/he is born tomorrow, for s/he will share a birthday with pro wrestler Balls Mahoney.

Good luck to these awesome parents.

Anonymous said...

I think she is Felicia, for Grandma Fil, who I swear is looking over your shoulder and smiling as you sew, Nahanni.

Maybe tonight's the night? I think maybe...

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful photos, all of them. Nahanni, have you thought about getting a second opinion? You may not really be pregnant. Lots of love, Liz & Alan P.S. You and Ned look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely mum to be!!! With names, I would definately seek inspiration in Tolkein's books... Like, Luthien for a girl... She was a fairy who gave up on her immortality for the love of a human. You can shortly call her Luth. And for a boy, definately Aragorn (Ari). He is so hot!!! But that is me. I'm sure you will find something more original...
Lots of love and hugs from Croatia!
Tanja

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome
Gongrats, its Adham from SOP,

Adham